Vegan Yarn Haul from LindeHobby
I received my first order from LindeHobby this week, and I want to share it with you.
Being based in Denmark, most of LindeHobby's stock is European brands, many of which can be hard to find in the US. They carry brands like DROPS and Sandnes Garn that we've heard about the world over, and they also carry some less-familiar brands like Katia and Permin. My order included yarns from Germany (Lana Grossa), Norway (Viking Garn), and the Netherlands (Lammy, Scheepjes, Yarn and Colors), as well as LindeHobby's own Danish private label.
LindeHobby does not have a vegan-specific tag in their online store (unlike Michigan Fine Yarns and Jimmy Beans), but that doesn't mean they don't have an abundance of plant based and synthetic fibers suitable for vegan crafters.
One of the things that makes vegan shopping easier at LindeHobby than many other retailers is that they list the fiber content of each yarn on the search results page. Whether you're browsing by brand or by yarn weight, you can see at a glance whether the fiber is suitable for your stash.
What I Ordered:
Viking Bambino - Fingering Weight - 50% Bamboo / 50% Cotton
Bambino is one of those yarns that feels like it's been typecast as a "baby" yarn, but it's plenty lovely for people of all ages. I ordered two different shades of green because I wanted to see them in person before I chose which to use for this project. Based on the colors, can you guess my inspiration?
LindeHobby Flora Soft Cake - Fingering Weight - 55% Cotton, 45% Acrylic
This 250g beast is destined to become a striped Timely Cardigan. You may remember from my Floozy Sweater that Truly Myrtle is one of my favorite pattern designers, and her Timely has been on my wish list for quite some time. I had a terrible time choosing a colorway since there are so many yummy options, but I ultimately landed on this navy-to-lavender gradient. I'll be pairing it with...
Scheepjes Whirlette - Fingering Weight - 60% Cotton, 40% Acrylic
Whirlette is the solid-color sister to Scheepjes' color-shifting Whirl collection. At almost 500 yards per $10 ball, Whirlette is an excellent bang for your buck. I opted for a neutral, old-tee-shirt gray to pair with the Flora Soft Cake.
Lana Grossa Diversa - DK Weight - 74% Cotton, 26% Viscose
What drew me to Diversa was the heathered color options. Heathered yarns are my favorite thing to knit with, but it's surprisingly difficult to find vegan options. I also considered Permin Scarlet (a linen-viscose-cotton blend) for this reason, but the Diversa had slightly easier care instructions, so I'm trying that first.
LindeHobby Ella 130 - DK Weight - 70% Cotton, 30% Polyester
I bought this to pair with some Berroco Gaia from my stash. Ella 130 is a nearly-perfect match for Gaia in composition and yardage, and after lots and lots of color comparing, I decided the "Peach Sorbet" was my best bet. It's not the most supple cotton blend out there, but for only a couple bucks per ball, it felt like a good bet.
Yarn and Colors Glamour - 100% Polyester
This is listed as a lace weight, and while its yardage-per-gram is lace-worthy, the strand itself is definitely NOT a lace weight. That's okay; I bought this for crafting rather than proper knitting. At $1.65 per ball, I couldn't say no to a little bit of glitz.
Lammy Lurex - 100% Polyester
As with the Glamour above, the Lurex is also for crafty shenanigans. I hadn't considered shopping for glittery yarn until I saw Knitting with Beef using something like this for her birthday dress. I have no intentions of wearing this, but I think it will be fun to play with.
Shipping
Shipping from LindeHobby was surprisingly fast. I placed my order on Wednesday. It was packed on Thursday. Friday, it left Denmark. On Saturday morning, it arrived in NYC for processing through customs. By Tuesday afternoon, it had arrived on my porch in Virginia.
What I Paid
The only downside to shopping at LindeHobby as a resident of the USA is the current import tariffs. Shipping to the States was only $8, but tariffs were 15%. Even with the fascism markup, the prices were incredibly accessible. My biggest splurge was the Diversa, at $6.44 per ball; that's still less than $40 for a handknit garment. Altogether, I paid $128 for 24 balls of yarn that are destined to become four garments and some fun sparkles.
Good news for my plus-size friends: LindeHobby offers a significant discount on many yarns when purchased in larger quantities. You can save anywhere from 15% to 40%, depending on the selection.
Other Vegan Yarns at LindeHobby
If you need more inspiration to shop vegan-friendly spring and summer yarns at LindeHobby, take a peek at these:
BC Garn Allino - DK - 50% Linen / 50% Cotton
Go Handmade Soft Bamboo - Fingering & DK - 70% Bamboo / 23% Cotton / 7% Acrylic
Hjertegarn New Arezzo - Sport - 47% Bamboo / 33% Linen / 20% Cotton
Jarbo Colin - Sport - 65% Cotton / 35% Linen
Kremke Morning Salutation - DK - 51% Lyocell / 49% Cotton
Onion Hemp+Cotton+Modal - Sport - 41% Cotton / 34% Hemp / 25% Modal
Svarta Faret Cecilia - DK - 53% Cotton / 33% Viscose / 14% Linen
If you have any vegan yarn shopping recommendations, please leave them in the comments below!
Comments
Post a Comment