Project Report 26.17: Tragedy and Redemption
We have quite a bit to catch up on this week!
As you know, my Mountain Socks have become designated waiting room knitting. Since I've had a few appointments lately, I've been able to finish the first sock and start the cuff on the second sock.
Last time we talked about my Sonate Sweater, I mentioned that I had put the body on hold to start the first sleeve. What I failed to say was that I had knit the full length of the body, minus the ribbing, and was working on the sleeve to confirm that the body was hitting where I wanted it. After working a few inches of sleeve, I tried it on and realized that my skepticism from a few weeks ago was well deserved. The armholes were too deep. We're talking, boobs-in-your-armpits deep, which was not a cute look. I still really loved the sweater, though, so I ripped back to the sleeve separation.
Before I started any math to adjust the fit, I double checked the pattern's size chart. According to the chart, the fit should have been spot-on. Even the length of the raglan lines and should have been perfect. That's when I made a horrible realization. I was supposed to be making Size 3. I highlighted and followed the instructions for Size 4. At four inches of growth per size, it's no wonder my armpits were down to my knees. I'm now letting it sit while I grapple with the knowledge that I'll have to start over completely, from the beginning. It may be a while before we see the Sonate again.
Luckily, I had a box of new yarn to soothe my wounds.
I have been imagining what I'm calling my "Notable Tee" for months. With yarn in hand, I was finally ready to cast on. And by "cast on," I mean accidentally knit 18 inches in four days. Whoops.
On the plus side, I'm thrilled with how it's turning out. My roommate still doesn't see the resemblance; he says it looks like I'm knitting a dish towel. Go ahead and place your bets on when it will finally click for him. I think it might take adding the vertical stripe along the side, but we'll have to wait and see.
Last but not least, the robin who built a ridiculously low and poorly hidden nest in my cherry trees has welcomed three new hatchlings this week! Right now they are very noisy and very ugly, but I'm happy to see them nevertheless.
Comments
Post a Comment