Tag a Knitter '26: My Answers
Here are my answers to the #tagaknitter26 questionnaire. If you'd like to participate, you can find the questions here and copy-paste them to wherever you'd like.
Introduce Yourself
1. Do you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate, or advanced knitter?
I *feel* like an intermediate knitter, because there's always something new to learn and a fresh technique to try, but objectively, I think I qualify as an advanced knitter.
2. How old were you when you learned how to knit?
About 10 years old. That's almost two and a half decades, but who's counting?
3. Do you do any other fiber crafts?
I've tried crochet, cross stitch, embroidery, and simple sewing projects, but nothing has stuck. I'm a knitter to the bone.
4. What are your non-fiber hobbies?
Gardening and cooking.
5. Who do you knit for most often?
Myself. Nobody loves my knits as much as I do.
6. Can you knit in the dark/without looking?
Lolol, no.
7. How big do you knit your gauge swatches?
Usually about 5"x5" or 30-40 stitches, depending on the yarn. If I'm being lazy, it might only be 5x3.
8. Do you have an FO Fail – a project you finished and immediately hid?
My Telesto Top with the Heritage Lace panels on the sleeves. I made it with acrylic yarn and added very form-fitting bust shaping, so I never wore it. I don't even think I have a picture of it. The pattern is nice, though.
9. Do you have a Mt. Everest project – a project you aspire to knit “one day”?
Anything steeked, like the Flea Cardigan. Or anything with a zipper, like the Artichoke Hoodie.
This or That
10. Metal needles or wood needles?
Metal! I will allow the occasional exception for wooden sock DPNs, but I'm even iffy on those.
11. Yarn in your right hand or yarn in your left hand?
Right hand.
12. Flat or in the round?
Flat. I get so annoyed having to lift up my project to untwist it when working in the round. And magic loop? Ew.
13. Process knitter or product knitter?
Process knitter. I regularly have to rip out projects because I felt like knitting but didn't feel like reading instructions and made a fatal error. But hey, that just means more knitting!
14. Sweaters or socks?
Socks. I do enjoy a good sweater, but socks are my go-to.
15. Cables or lace?
Cables. I'm not usually girly enough to wear lace in real life.
16. Alpaca or mohair?
Alpaca. Who could resist this face?
| Image courtesy of Lilla Frerichs |
17. Knitting in public – cozy or cringe?
Cringe. Don't hate me! I've just had too many unpleasant experiences of people making unwelcome comments while I was trying to mind my own damn business. I'd much rather knit alone.
Favorites
18. Favorite stitch pattern?
Seed stitch. It's time consuming, but I love the texture.
19. Favorite FO picture?
This is a picture of my very first lace project, the Adamas Shawl by Miriam L. Felton. I made this in January, 2011 -- over 15 years ago. It's still one of my favorite finished objects.
20. Favorite increase method?
I'm using a lot of lifted increases these days, but I recently heard about Elizabeth Zimmerman's Invisible Increase and I'm incredibly intrigued.
21. Favorite designer?
I'm a huge Libby Jonson fangirl. I have like ten of her sweaters on my wish list. Honorable mentions to Tellybean and Stone Knits for colorwork, and Wool & Pine for texture.
22. Favorite place to knit?
My front porch, weather permitting.
23. Favorite yarn weight?
Fingering weight, for sure. You can't wear Aran-weight anything in the Mid-Atlantic.
24. Favorite fiber?
Responsibly sourced wool from family farms in Europe -- often the UK. I need to know those sheeps were properly pampered before I stole their fur.
Share the Love
25. Where do you like to shop for yarn?
I buy almost all my yarn online. I usually start at Wool & Co, but I've recently made purchases from LindeHobby and Michigan Fine Yarns as well.
26. Which knitting content creators are you loving at the moment?
I'm currently binging Leslie's Knit California's podcast archive. If you're looking to discover some hidden gems, check out Dawn from Tangled Together (she's also from Virginia!), May from Knitting with Beef, or Brooke from Brooke Loves Knitting.
Comments
Post a Comment