Project Report 26.37: Deep Shadow Wrap Duckies
In case you missed it, I posted the final installment of the Blandy Farms flora and fauna cowl knit-along over the weekend. Here's a sneak peek at how it turned out (yes, there is string in my hair, because of course there is):
With the cowl wrapped up, I spent most of my knitting time working on the socks I started last week. They were my sole focus because they combined two new-to-me things: lace on socks and a deep shadow wrap heel.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have knit a lace sock once before. My first ever socks had a simple lace pattern that, if I recall correctly, was just alternating yarn overs and K2togs. Since they were my first socks, and toe-up ones at that, they fit terribly. I think that may have quietly influenced my decision to eschew lace socks for a decade-and-a-half.
![]() |
| Katie's first socks, circa 2011 |
Like those first socks, the Duckies are simple. The lace panel is a five-stitch motif integrated into a ribbed sock. There are three rows of knitting, then a pattern row, then three rows of knitting, then a pattern row. It's incredibly easy to remember and to read on the needles.
The pattern calls for a heel flap and gusset, which is usually my preferred sock construction, but I had the yarn to make a contrast heel, so I went looking for an alternative.
Enter the Deep Shadow Wrap Heel tutorial from Ysolda.
The deep shadow wrap heel is a short row heel technique that creates a gusset. This is what sets it apart from the standard shadow wrap heel and various other short row heels you may have tried (Fish Lips Kiss comes to mind). The heel combines short rows and increases in a truly brilliant way, so that coming out of the heel turn, you have twice as many stitches as you started with.
As you can see, this is a fantastic way to incorporate a contrast heel while still having a gusset. Plus, no holes, no gaps, and no "pick up an extra stitch" nonsense.
(Want another heel technique that works perfectly? Try my Signature Self-Striping Socks, where neglecting a purl stitch solves the hole-in-the-corner problem.)
Samson seems to have a particular affinity for these socks.
Socks are one of his favorite things in general, but I really did have trouble getting these away from him long enough to take pictures.
With the Duckies done, I returned to my Hogweed sweater WIP:
Yeah, I'm not impressed either.
Because this is worked flat, it's hard to read the work on the needles from the wrong side. I find myself doing a lot of counting and then peering over the top to make sure I'm slipping the right stitches.
Have you ever knit lace socks? Has your pet ever tried to adopt your knits? Let me know in the comments!

Comments
Post a Comment