Deciding What to Knit Next: A Brain Dump

As I'm nearing the end of my Untimely cardigan project, I'm itching to get started on a new garment.

I have a sport weight cotton-viscose blend in stash that I'd like to use while the weather is still warm and I'm not ready for wooly knits.


This is Lana Grossa Diversa in color #8, Gray Blue. I'm excited for it because it has a heathered, melange effect that's hard to find in cotton options. I have six balls, a total of 300g or about 1,380 yards (1260 meters). Armed with that information, I dove into the bottomless pit of possibility that is a Ravelry search.

One of the first patterns I got attached to was the Arachne sweater by Andi Satterlund. 

Photo © Andi Satterlund

The round yoke, 3/4 sleeves, and spider web styling had me all amped up for spooky season. Alas, we're not quite there yet, and I'm not planning to do colorwork with this particular yarn. 

Looking through my Ravelry library, I was reminded that I already own the pattern for the Rolling Rock Henley by Thea Colman. 

Photo © BabyCocktails

I considered altering this to make a tee, but I'm really not a fan of garments where all the fun stuff is happening in the back and I never get to see it.

While I was thinking about adding texture to a tee, I thought about borrowing the charts from the Spring Pools socks by Linda Fisher.  

Photo © Linda Fisher

I'm not opposed to following through with this idea -- or just making the socks themselves, because I really do like the pattern -- but a 28-stitch repeat is probably not ideal. I kept looking.

I briefly considered the February Fitted Pullover by Amy Herzog, as I have many times before.

Photo © Amy Herzog

I always admire the 3/4 length set-in sleeves, the open neckline, and how the garter stitch edges balance the lace. And let's be real, Amy Herzog is beautiful, so I am always captivated by her photos, even when the knits aren't something I'm likely to make.

Ultimately, I (once again) steered myself away from this pattern because I'm afraid the lace motif will cling to my body in a way I won't enjoy.  

Speaking of patterns I've ogled in the past, the Diane top courtesy of Berroco is one I've considered multiple times. 

Photo © Berroco Design Team

Once again, we have a band of lace accented with garter stitch, but this one is worked sideways from one sleeve to the other. It's a fascinating construction, but I question whether it would fit well or if I would be able to make adjustments. I will say, most of the projects actually look like the sample picture, which is impressive.

Lest you believe I ignored the most obvious of options, I assure you I did look at several basic tee designs. Fraulein Stadtisch's At the Seaside tee and Andrea Yetman's Timelines Tee are both on my radar for short-sleeved v-neck tops. I just really, really don't want another plain stockinette project right now. Although Emily Wood's Firefly Hill tee is a really lovely better-than-basic tee option, I still wasn't convinced.

Photo © Emily Wood

That's when I stopped looking at tee shirt patterns and started looking at things I just wanted to knit for the fun of it.

Enter the Alhambra by Isabell Kraemer. 

Photo © Isabell Kraemer

This sweater has an allover texture pattern and some sweet detailing at the cuff. What deters me are the words "Neck is left unfinished" in the pattern description. A boat neck with no ribbing feels like a choking hazard.

Then I found the Phaedra sweater by Audrey Borrego.

 

Photo © Audrey Borrego

I am absolutely in love with this sweater. The delicate, twisted cables, the botanical-like bobbles, and the scattered purl bumps all make me swoon. Unfortunately, it's a drop shoulder and I know I would hate that.

It was at this point -- feeling completely defeated and a little overwhelmed -- that I decided to check my gauge. I know, crazy idea.


My swatch clocked in at 26 stitches by 38 rows per 4 inches, which is really damn close to the gauge in the Alberta Sunshine pattern by Sandra Buzza.

 

Photo © Sandra Buzza

We have a round yoke. We have lace. We have hem detailing. We even have samples in both short sleeves and 3/4 sleeves. And we have zero gauge math because the pattern is available in my size.

Folks, I believe we have a winner.

What patterns are you eyeing up these days? Are you still summer knitting or are you ready to slip into spooky season? I'd love to know your plans!

Comments

Popular Posts