Project Report 26.29: Sleeves Suck (but yarn doesn't!)

Knitters often bemoan being stuck on "Sleeve Island," but y'all, I'm stuck on Sleeve Continent.

I don't know how I keep doing this to myself.  I get two projects on the go to keep my life interesting, and then they both turn into eternal stockinette stitch and demand sleeves at the same time. It's like my knits are conspiring against me.

The first sleeve I set to work on was on my Untimely sweater. I'm working this one flat with two-row stripes using the gradient yarn I've complained about in the past. The sleeve itself isn't actually the problem with this one, it's just the yarn management aspect sucking the joy from every stitch.


I did manage to finish the first sleeve yesterday while I was watching Rachel is Knitting answer the questions from my Tag a Knitter 26 questionnaire. I'm now attempting a double knit button band with minimal confidence.

The second sleeve is on my roommate's surprise sweater. I'm working this one in the round and having many regrets.

First of all, do you know how big man sweaters are? They're HUGE! This makes no sense to me, because my roommate is not that much bigger than I am; his tee shirts are only one size larger than mine. Yet somehow his sweater is like ten million times the size of a regular sweater, give or take.

I'm also kicking myself for working this sleeve in the round. I know I don't like working sleeves in the round. I know this. I perfected my method for working sleeves flat several projects ago. But did I work these sleeves flat? Nooo, of course not. So that means I'm lifting up this gargantuan man sweater to untwist it after every round, like a simpleton.

Do they make lap-sized lazy susans? Because I would be willing to spend good money on one at this point. 

I don't want to dwell on stupid sleeves any longer than I have to, so may I present my latest yarn order from WEBS:


I ordered two more skeins of Berroco Comfort Worsted in "Driftwood" for the aforementioned man sweater.


And because I'm hoarding Berroco Comfort, I got a couple of skeins in "Pumpkin." 

Since WEBS merged with UK-based Love Crafts, they've started carrying more British brands, which makes me happy. I ordered two more colors of Stylecraft Recreate, a 100% recycled wool blend, this time in "Dijon"...


...and "Aubergine." Aren't they gorgeous? I love the heathering.


Because no yarn order is complete without sock yarn, I also added a skein of  Berroco Comfort Sock in "Ash," which I think will be a nice neutral to have available for heels and toes. In case you missed it, Berroco Comfort Sock is the yarn I used for the cover photo on my Signature Self-Striping Sock pattern.


Altogether, I spent $38.71 -- $8.58 for taxes and shipping, $30.13 for seven 100g balls of yarn.

My only disappointment with this order is that WEBS is now shipping via Amazon. As someone who goes to great lengths to avoid Amazon and its far-reaching tentacles, I was quite upset to see that a small company I'd trusted for years had turned to the dark side. If this is also a concern for you, as of this writing, Jimmy Beans Wool, Wool & Company, LindeHobby, and Michigan Fine Yarns are still shipping with USPS.

If you can recommend other Amazon-free online yarn shops, please drop them in the comments! 

Comments

Popular Posts