Later, Alligator Socks

I finished my alligator socks on Christmas Eve. Thank god.


These socks have been haunting me since November 7. That's 6+ weeks of grouching over a pair of socks -- something I can usually breeze through in a week or so.

I had high hopes for these socks, thinking they would be a better-executed sister to my adorable cactus socks (Pattern: Saguaro Blossom Socks) now that I have more colorwork projects under my belt.

Spoiler alert: They were not. Let's talk about it.


Pattern: Preppy Alligator Socks by Deborah Tomasello
Yarn: Patons Kroy in Saltwater (blue) and Knit Picks Stroll Effects in Canopy (green)
Needles: US 1 / 2.25mm
Project Cost: Free-ish (the yarn was already in my stash)

The Good

  • They're cute
  • The pattern is free
  • I got to try a new-to-me heel

    The pattern includes a broken link to a video tutorial for Cat Bordhi's "Sweet Tomato Heel" technique. There was a clash in the instructions between the written pattern and the original video explanation, but I did my best. This post from Knit Much was a more helpful guide.

    Short row heels are not usually the best fit for my feet, but this one is fairly simple and decently roomy. I probably won't jump to use it on my next socks, but it's good to try new things and add to our knitting arsenal.


The Bad
  • They only come in one size (72 stitches) and are not easily adjusted since the alligators are arranged in a continuous spiral down the full length of the sock.
  • The one size they come in is HUGE. I had trouble getting them to stay on my sock blockers.
  • The pattern is unclear, especially about the heel.
  • The floats are long. Up to 21 stitches long. Many times.
  • The pattern suggests creating an "imbedded ribbing" by catching floats every two stitches. Not only is life too short to catch floats 36 times in a 72-stitch round, but it also defies the practice of staggering float catches to create a smooth, gap-free fabric.

The Verdict

All that being said, we've come to the prevailing question: Would I knit these again?

No, I wouldn't knit these again. I barely finished knitting them this time. I might steal the alligator chart and use it for something small and whimsical in the future, but I'm more likely to choose another alligator (Baby Gators, anyone?) and a different sock next time.

If I really, really need another pair of alligator socks, I'll go all-in and make some Crikeys.

Comments

Popular Posts